Monday, August 25, 2008

hope

some folks say this country is too racist to elect a black president
someone told me that the reason I support Obama is because he's black and so am I
someone opined that he doesn't have enough foreign policy experience, not enough governing experience period
the Clintons even had to get nasty about it, but that's no surprise
I realized today looking at the convention coverage
that the reason I support Obama
is the same reason I support Ted Kennedy
and the same reason I support Barney Frank
and the same reason I get up in the morning
it's hope

something brighter, something better
treating people with dignity and respect even if you disagree with them
and believing in the American dream
the real dream
where everybody gets ahead

We are products of this dream
our parents, or grandparents, or great great greats got here
and found a way out of no way
in a place where that is possible
not easy
but possible

Jesse Jackson, Jr. said that we can see Dr. King's mountaintop tonight.
We need vision to make things possible, to make change happen.

No comments: