Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Caged bird sings

I watch and absorb
Maya Angelou
on a giant video screen
in a room full to bursting
with women, with hope, alive with goodness (and gas from the bacon)
I am in the same room
as Maya
breathing the same rarified air
as the woman who made me know to write
who's writing made me love Black, southern, and erudite
tall, majestic, and elegant
Dr. Angelou of the 60 honorary doctorates,
and one incredible inagural poem "on the post of morning"
and my favorite poem "Phenomenal Woman"* (below)
(and my favorite line from "And Still I Rise"..."does it come as a surprise that I dance like I've got diamond at the meeting of my thighs?")

Yes Lord. I was in a room today
with Maya Angelou
I listened without effort
Her words, her wisdom, her wit poured into me
Her presence honed me to a new shine
Her wizened face, deep honey colored, heavy African features, salt and pepper curls,
her lavender dress and her double string of pearls
she said that we were all rainbows in the clouds of someone's life
we'd all helped someone, known or unknown, through our volunteer efforts
through our smiles at strangers
through our being as women
through our continuing to make a way out of no way
in that way women can and do
through our faith, intuition, grief, struggle, and, most importantly, laughter.

I sat, in that massive ballroom, with Ms. Maya, entering her 80th year
I floated in the clouds and flew around rainbows


My dear friend, Rainbow Ruby, brought me to sit in a room with Maya Angelou, knowing how much it would mean to me
She turned to me and said, "I'm so glad I'm here with you."
Me too, my Jewel.


I sat
on the bus
on the way home
knowing how magic can make the mundane so sweet
thinking of you
my rainbow in the clouds.
You.

Do something for me, men and women. Look at yourself, for at least a minute today, or for as long as you can stand it and think of the blessing you are to somebody in your life, to people you haven't met but have touched, to the strangers you smile at as you walk down the street. Hold that joy for a moment. Let it wash and fill you. Let it embrace you as I would do if I were with you now.



















PHENOMENAL WOMAN
by Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a model's fashion size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my steps
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please
And to a man
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees
Then they swarm around me
A hive of honey bees.
I say
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth
The swing of my waist
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say
It's in the arch of my back
The sun of my smile
The ride of my breasts
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say
It's in the click of my heels
The bend of my hair
The palm of my hand
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.




No comments: