Sunday, June 3, 2012

un life

Of course we can't imagine how astronauts do space walks. It's beyond imagination--hanging out in the void. The closest we can come is the first few minutes of sky diving or floating in a warm sea. I'm sure that plane ride they do to approximate weightlessness doesn't even compare to floating in space. Weightlessness is an attractive concept to me being not as light as air. It would be a great equalizer, wouldn't it, if we could, regardless of weight, float around each other? And we could avoid the embarrassment of sweaty thigh on thigh contact on the bus.

Cuz I'm about over riding the bus, I tell you what.

Many nights staring at the ceiling and at the night outside my garret window convince me that floating through inner space is as exhilarating, terrifying and empowering as swimming through the cosmos. I made up my mind to continue to have a rich life even when I'm bed and couch ridden. There is poetry to be read and written, sights to be seen, and a complicated psyche and history to explore. Even the experience of pain can be studied, and thus disassociated from to the point where it's almost bearable.

If it has to be this way sometimes, let it be colorful, interesting, and a learning experience.

If I have to give up chocolate, let me float free.

1 comment:

Smapdi said...

Amen sister. Amen.