Thursday, November 26, 2009

Rockettes

Would you agree that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is getting more canned by the year? I can see Meredith Viera's teeth rotting from reading all that treacle. I did enjoy seeing fellow Mystic Trish Schilling's daughter, Taylor, who's the star of the best show you ain't watching called "Mercy", Wednesdays at 8p on NBC. Shameless plug.

And the Rockettes--what a complete waste of time and money except for leg fetishists. Yes, there is something to be said for tradition, but what is the real entertainment value?

I do love the Sesame Street Float, especially seeing my favorite cynic, Oscar, in his trashcan. And there was a Chinese dance troupe from Delaware--pretty cool. More multiculturalism, Macys!

It's that strange juxtaposition--our tendency to homogenize to make things more "palatable", which makes them inherently less interesting, at least to me.

I do love how thrilled the high school marching bands from places like Adair, Kentucky and Missoula, Montana must be to be participating, having raised the money to come themselves.

Seeing the little kids on the parade route out of their minds with excitement (instead of sugar) is quite nice, too.

And so on this gray, New Englandy Thanksgiving, I'm feeling very blessed to be relaxing on my sofa with a warm roof over my head, delicious food to eat, family and friends to love, and a computer on which to write parade critiques.

(Alan Cumming lip synching "That's Life" on an M&M float ?? Cyndy Lauper on some kind of Disney princess float singing "Girls Just want To Have Fun"?? Bee-zar.)

Have a happy and thank goodness for you.

No comments: