Wednesday, November 5, 2008

images OH HAPPY DAY!

A little boy who just happens to have dark skin and who was born into poverty looks up today and sees someone who looks like he does is President.

Sitting with dear friends around a tiny TV, as one of us keeps track of what's going on the web, our faces shiny with hope and joy.

Watching pedestrians yelling for joy and hearing car horns blare in triumph on the way home.

Juan Williams on MSNBC, his voice cracking with emotion, talking about how this was absolutely impossible scant years ago.

Messy Jesse, his face awash in tears. Oprah cheering, squeezed between two emotional non-celebs.

Luke Russert reporting so eloquently on the young vote from an Indiana campus.

My mother's voice, rich and melodic, talking about the first time she voted.

Watching the people in line at the polls play with a little puppy.

My scrunched up, post-sleep potato face grinning in the mirror this morning.

Oh happy day, my loves.










Democracy by Langston Hughes

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.

Langston Hughes

No comments: