Tuesday, November 4, 2008

woke up this mornin' with my mind

and it was set on Barack

As I walked across the municipal parking lot in front of my house this morning, the mists of early morning were just lifting, and the tress were kissed with golds and yellows and fiery oranges and reds. Each beat of my feet said "Black President." I can't say it doesn't matter in the historical sense, but I'd never vote for a President Alan Keyes or (shudder) Al Sharpton. As I joined the line at the polling place, a Black woman at the front of the line caught my eye and we grinned joyously at each other. It filled me up to see people in long lines waiting to vote--this is as it should be. A young woman came by with her Corgi/Labrador puppy (hmmm...imagine the conception) and he became the hit of the line, sniffing fit and illiciting giggles and being petted by almost everyone. People were sweet, and happy and the mood was patient and considerate. And I had no idea that so many Black people lived near me...there were at least 10 in line. I felt like saying, "where y'all been? I haven't seen you at Starbucks..."

Arlington voting is archaic...paper ballots with used privacy sleeves and heavy black pens, but somehow, I trust this more than the electronic voting machines. At one point a lady came out and said to us "it's really archaic in there," and then the toilet in the ladies' room we were standing next to flushed and the guy next to me said "That IS archaic voting."

The amazing singing storytellers of Sweet Honey in the Rock, who I saw on Sunday, made a great point...you get a receipt from the grocery store and the ATM...I want a receipt for my vote!

There was a lady who had her two daughters with her--about 5 and 7 years old--and I was reminded of the times I went with my mom to vote in those old style booths where you had to operate a giant lever to open and close the curtains. Mom and I talked last night about the first time we voted. She thinks her first time was 1960--the Kennedy/Nixon presidential election. I think mine was 1984, Reagan/Mondale.

Today is Mom's 72nd birthday. We were talking via icamera and she looks about 40 years old, lively, and animated. She said her best birthday present would be you-know-who in the White House. Hollaaaaaa!! (Maybe they'll change the name to "The Black House..." or "The Mulatto House..." ba HA!)

Now I eat toast and drink tea and look forward to an amazing day. I'm going this morning to get my shots for our trip to China. Tonight I'll go to Mystic rehearsal and sing Lift Every Voice and the Star Spangled Banner as imagined by Nick Page and then my friends and I will gather to watch history, an almost tangible thing.

Give your thoughts and your light to peace and love and a wish for a mutt puppy at every polling place.

No comments: