Saturday, November 8, 2008

So Crazee

On election day I told anybody who would listen that Barack would win. I said "Black president" to an over-blinged bus driver on the #87, and to Geronimo, the security guard at the BSO shipping dock. I exchanged crossed fingers with several like-minded co-workers and made plans to hang with some friends to watch the returns. I was so surprised by the Ohio returns that I hollered an expletive and made everyone jump. And then...once he was declared the winner, I couldn't quite believe it. It's the strangest thing. Right after that my girl Amanda called me and she said I just blithered through the conversation. I seem to be frozen in disbelief, with tearful forays into joy, and a wonderful bus ride to work on Thursday morning singing the freedom songs that Mystic is performing in the upcoming concerts. But I still feel stunned.

So I've been watching Oprah and reading blogs and keeping up with the president-elect's new website, change.gov, the website of the transition, trying to get it through my head that this is real. Someone immanently qualified who just happens to be Black is going to lead the country. Grace, brilliance, and humane discourse won over lies, hatred and plain old ignorance and fear. I want to get to that state of bliss or perhaps a sublime feeling. I know, now, that I'll never be apathetic about the political process again. I know that I'm really willing to fight for what I believe and I know that human rights and the beautiful concepts upon which this country was founded are what I believe, what I treasure.

Just haven't gotten my brain around it. Maybe a bit more champagne...

No comments: